The weevil beetle (Curcullionidae), also called the elephant, is a representative of a very large family, in which there are more than 70 thousand species, most of which can be found in the tropics. In middle latitudes, only about 5 thousand species are found. Weevils are considered pests of various plants. Interestingly, each species has its own preferences, for example, one of them damages garden crops, the other damages forest plants, the third damages garden plants, and so on. And there is also a type of beetle that damages the growth point of a palm tree, because of which it dies.
In length, weevils can reach 0.1-3 centimeters, and tropical species sometimes grow up to 5 centimeters. In such pests, the body shape can be very different, for example: oblong, rod-shaped, spherical, pear-shaped, flat, cylindrical, rhombic or convex hemispherical. The color varies from black to yellow, sometimes there are specks on the body, and it can also have a metallic sheen. The body of the pest can be painted in one color shade, and its legs in another. The upper part of the body is either naked or hairy, it can be covered with brown glazed scales or an earthen crust. The weevil has a characteristic feature - an elongated front part of the head (rostrum), it was she who influenced the formation of the name of this genus of insects.
All species are divided into 2 subspecies - long-proboscis and short-proboscis, which differ from each other in the length of the rostrum. In short-probed species, the larvae are in the ground and eat the roots of plants, and in long-probed species, they usually live in the tissues of various plants and feed on them. Weevil species found in mid-latitudes most often settle on berry crops, while attracting their flower buds, in which the female arranges egg-laying. After their appearance, the larvae begin to eat the flower from the inside. In this regard, if there are too many pests, then the gardener may not see the berries at all. Even in the middle lane, you can meet a barn or home weevil.
The barn weevil is a small beetle of dark brown color with underdeveloped wings, it reaches up to 0.4 cm in length. This pest is of particular danger to grain crops. Archaeologists have found that such a pest has existed for a very long time. In the twentieth century, in the excavations of ancient Egyptian burials, traces of a weevil were found, while in ancient Rome this beetle was also known, and there it was called Curculio.
Adults damage grain, as well as products made from it. At the same time, in one egg-laying, laid by a female, there can be about 300 eggs, the larvae that emerged from them develop in the grains of wheat, oats, buckwheat, millet, rice (rice weevil), barley and rye. The pest can also live in flour and pasta. If such a pest has appeared in the grain, then it becomes unusable. The fact is that if you eat it, it will cause indigestion, as it becomes hygroscopic and by itself begins to heat up and rot.
The weevil in the house is the same barn weevil in the grain, but it gets into the apartment along with the groats brought from the store. An adult female gnaws a cave in a grain and lays only one egg in it, after which she clogs up the hole with her own secretions. After 6–12 days, a larva is born, it eats up the inner part of the grain, after which it gnaws the shell and gets out. The fight against weevils is complicated by the fact that the larva inside the grain is rather difficult to detect. However, nevertheless, various ways have been invented to combat such a pest.
How to get rid of weevils
To get rid of the weevil, which is a polyphagous and very dangerous harmful insect, you should use any methods available for this, namely: physical and mechanical, biological, preventive, chemical and folk methods.
As a preventive measure, before placing the grain in the storage facility, it is disinfected from the granary weevil (disinfection can be aerosol or wet). Then the grain itself is prepared, for this it is thoroughly dried, all trash is removed, and cooled as much as possible. If there is such a need, then the grain is treated with a contact insecticidal preparation.
In orchards and vegetable gardens where other types of weevils can live, prevention consists in loosening the soil surface around trees, removing loose leaves, diseased and dried branches from the site. Also, between the rows of garden or horticultural crops, you can plant plants that scare off such a beetle. For prevention purposes, crops can be treated with a biological agent Fitoverm, and birds (natural enemies of weevils) can also be attracted to the site, for this, nest boxes and birdhouses are hung on trees in several places. If the pest nevertheless appeared, then before mating begins, and the female begins to lay eggs, it is necessary to collect insects, this can be done manually, or a dense tissue is spread under a tree or bush and the beetles are shaken off on it. Then they are destroyed. If there are a lot of insects, then it is impossible to do without the treatment of cultures with folk remedies or special potent chemicals.
It is very dangerous to use chemicals to combat the pest in a room environment. However, in a garden or vegetable garden, they can help you save the harvest. Popular chemicals include:
- Kinmix... For the treatment of cultures, a solution is used, for the preparation of which 1 bucket of water and 2.5 milligrams of the agent are combined.
- Decis... Add 2 milligrams of the product to a bucket of water. The resulting solution is also treated with affected plants.
- Fufanon, Iskra-M, Kemifos, Karbaphos-500... To prepare a working solution for 1 liter of water, 1 milligram of the drug is taken.
During the growing season, cultures are sprayed with Fitoverm solution (2 milligrams of the product per liter of water). In the summer, to destroy weevils that have settled on trees, use a solution of Fozalon or Bazudin (strictly follow the instructions on the package). To destroy the larvae of leafy weevil species, it is required to treat the soil with Diazinon or Bazudin.
When using chemicals in pest control, keep in mind that they can cause serious harm to human health. That is why many summer residents prefer to fight the pest using folk methods. For example, during the budding period, crops can be sprayed with one of the following solutions:
- a bucket of water is mixed with 10-13 grams of dry mustard powder;
- 4 grams of grated laundry soap is dissolved in a liter of water;
- a bucket of water is combined with 2.5-3 kilograms of wood ash;
- 10 liters of water is combined with 5 grams of potassium permanganate;
- grind on a grater from 80 to 100 grams of laundry soap and dissolve it in lukewarm water, then add 200 grams of kerosene and 20 grams of borax to the mixture and mix everything well until an emulsion is obtained, which is immediately sprayed on the crops.
The best way to protect against long-wearing on STRAWBERRY
How to get rid of a weevil in the house
Sometimes a barn weevil that got into a house along with purchased groats can settle there. In order to get rid of it, you can use one of the simple but effective methods of dealing with such a beetle, which are based on the characteristic features of its life and reproduction:
- First you need to carefully examine all the cereals you have, as well as cocoa, tea, coffee, flour and pasta, where the bug can settle. If you find signs of its presence, then try to destroy the contaminated food as soon as possible, since the secretions of both larvae and adults are carcinogenic.
- Since a decrease in temperature to only minus 5 degrees leads to the death of both adults and weevil larvae, for the purpose of prevention, still uninfected foods can be placed in the freezer for two or three days. Also, as a preventive measure, all newly purchased cereals, pasta and flour can be sent to the freezer for a while.
- An increase in temperature to 40 degrees also leads to the death of beetles, while all of them will die only if this temperature is maintained for 48 hours. To get rid of the pest in just 6 hours, the product where it is located must be heated to 60 degrees and done can be in the oven.
- For storage of disinfected cereals, it is recommended to use tightly closed containers made of plastic or glass, since the pest cannot gnaw through them. In the container where pasta and cereals are stored, you can put garlic cloves, peeled from the husk, you can pour a small amount of hot peppers into the beans and peas, and put 2 or 3 nutmegs in the flour.
- The shelves or surfaces on which cereals, pasta or flour are stored must be systematically washed with a soap solution for prevention purposes, after which they are wiped with water mixed with table vinegar. When the treatment is completed, several bay leaves, cloves or lavender flowers need to be laid out on the surface.
- Experts do not advise making excessively large stocks of products in which the pest can settle, without special need.
How to deal with weevils in an apartment
How to get rid of a weevil on the site
Weevil on strawberries
The strawberry weevil is a long-probed beetle of black and gray color, the size of which is about 0.3 cm. In spring, individuals mate in flower buds, where the larvae develop later.
Today, there are many effective methods of combating weevils on strawberries, which can save up to 40 percent of the crop, even with a very severe damage. The fight against insects should be started as early as possible, this increases your chances of "winning".
In spring, when the air temperature is still uncomfortable for the beetle, the area where strawberries grow must be sprayed with one of the following solutions:
- 10 liters of water is combined with 1 tsp. iodine;
- dissolve three tablets from the weevil Intra-vir in a bucket of water.
The first time you need to spray the site when 5 or 6 days remain before the beginning of flowering. The second treatment is carried out in the middle of the summer period. You can also spray strawberries and garden strawberries with such biological preparations as Namabact or Antonem-F. Until the last days of spring, bushes can also be treated with chemicals such as: Iskra-bio, Fitoverm or Akarin. The most powerful insecticides (for example, Actellik, Karbofos or Metaphos) are not recommended for processing strawberries.
Simple ways to get rid of weevils on strawberries
Cherry weevil, also called cherry elephant, or cherry trubbery. It can harm not only cherries, but also the pest settles on plums, cherry plums, cherries, apricots and hawthorns. The length of such a greenish-golden beetle can vary from 0.55 to 1 centimeter, it has a purple metallic sheen. On the surface of the white larvae there are rare red hairs, their head is brown, and the mouth organ is brown. Such bugs damage the generative organs of stone fruit crops, while they do this in early spring before sap flow begins, as a result, the buds of the plants dry out and fly around. Due to the invasion of such a pest, the gardener risks not only being left without a crop, but this can also cause the death of the trees themselves.
Experts advise to deal with the cherry weevil in all available ways, namely: preventive, folk, agrotechnical, biological and even chemical. For example:
- In autumn, tree trunks need to be freed from exfoliated old bark. All plant residues are destroyed, and the surface of the trunk is treated with a lime solution.
- The area near the tree, as well as the surface of the trunk circle, must be freed from loose leaves, which are then burned or sent to a compost heap.
- The soil in the near-trunk circle must be carefully dug up.
- During the swelling of the buds, white paper or cloth grows under the plant, on which pests are shaken off. Then they are destroyed.
- During the period of fruit ripening, it is necessary to regularly collect and destroy the volunteer, in this case the larvae from it will not be able to get to the ground.
- When the tree has faded, examine it carefully. If you find more than 8 pests, then spray the plant with any of the chemicals described above.
The length of such a beetle is about 4.5 centimeters, it is painted in a bronze color with a metallic sheen. There are thick short hairs on the entire surface of the pest. Popularly, this insect is also called a copper pipe-runner, which is due to its appearance. It can settle on both plum and apricot, sweet cherry, sloe, cherry, apple, mountain ash, hawthorn and currant. Adults consistently damage buds, buds, flowers, pedicels, young fruits and foliage. Larval development takes place inside the fruit. They fight such an insect in the same way as with the cherry weevil. The most effective chemical agents in this case are pyrethroids and organophosphorus compounds, for example: Fufanon, Actellik or Bazudin.
Raspberries are harmed by the same type of weevil as strawberries. The raspberries are harmed by females the most. So, just one female during one season can damage about three dozen buds, arranging egg-laying in them. After 6–7 days, larvae emerge from the eggs; they eat the flower from the inside for 20 days. For the purpose of prevention, you need to take the same measures that were described in detail above. However, if the pest nevertheless appeared on raspberries, then in order to get rid of it, it is best to use folk remedies.
If there are a lot of pests on raspberries, then during budding, treat the plants with a solution of Taran. Before raspberries bloom and after harvest, it is recommended to treat them with insecticidal preparations such as Karbofos, Novaktion, Fufanon Expert or Iskra-M. Throughout the growing season, raspberry bushes from weevils can be sprayed with Alatar. Before using chemicals, read the instructions and do not forget about safety precautions.
The nut weevil, which is also called the nut fruit, is a brown beetle, reaching from 0.7 to 1 centimeter in length. In the last days of April, females of such a weevil lay eggs in unripe hazelnuts. After the larvae emerge from the eggs, they begin to eat away the pulp of the nuts, this can lead to the loss of half of the crop. Most often, such a pest settles on a nut if high humidity is observed for a long time, and the average daily temperature is about 19 degrees.In order to prevent the soil in the near-barrel circle, it is imperative to dig up to the depth of the shovel bayonet, and do not forget to collect and destroy the wormy fruits that have fallen to the ground in a timely manner. In order to get rid of such a pest, before the females begin to lay eggs, the tree must be sprayed over the ovaries with a solution of Actellik or Fufanon (2%).
The large pine weevil, also called the spruce tree, is a dark brown beetle with a length of 0.7 to 1.4 centimeters. Adult insects harm those spruces and pines that are 3–6 years old; they eat up the bark of the trees to the sapwood. The resulting wounds merge together and are covered with resinous sap, as a result, the trunk becomes tarred, and this leads to the death of the tree. This type can also harm deciduous trees located near a spruce or pine forest, for example: alder, oak, birch, etc.
Also, 2 more types of weevils can harm conifers, namely: blue pine and pine. Pine weevil (pine elephant) is very dangerous for coniferous copses, they injure tree bark, which leads to the death of plants. On the body of such a brown beetle there is a pair of longitudinal stripes consisting of yellowish dots. The blue pine weevil has a blue tint. He gnaws small holes in young coniferous shoots, where he arranges egg-laying. Their larvae bite into wood, where they make moves and pupate. Conifers can suffer from both larvae and adult insects.
Rooks, crows, starlings, woodpeckers, magpies and jays are natural enemies of all weevil species, so it is recommended to attract them to your site. Other such insects feed on ktyri and ground beetles. To get rid of pests that have settled on conifers, chemical treatment will be required. To do this, during the period of mass settlement of pests, plants are sprayed with a solution of Metaphos, Karbofos, Actellik or another preparation of a similar action.
How to get rid of a weevil once and for all: effective drugs
If you cannot drive out the weevils on your own or they have filled the home too much, you should contact a special service. In this case, you can be sure that the pests will be destroyed in all possible places of residence. The methods used by pest controllers to fight insects are as follows:
- The cold fog method uses the principle of mixing pesticide vapors, which are cooled in a generator and mixed with air. A kind of fog is formed, which settles on all objects that have been infected.
- The hot steam method is most effective for large storage areas. They use hot steam, gasoline or gas.
- Barrier protection is used to block all possible crevices through which weevils could penetrate to the reserves. Usually, this method is used as the primary method.
Cherry weevil, also known as cherry trubrovert, also known as cherry elephant, affects not only cherry trees, but also cherry, plum, apricot, cherry plum and even hawthorn. It is a golden green beetle 5.5 to 10 mm long with a purple metallic sheen. The larvae are white, covered with sparse red hairs, with a brown head and brown mouthparts. Weevils damage the generative organs of stone fruit crops even before sap flow begins - tree buds dry up and crumble. The invasion of the cherry tubewert can lead not only to the loss of fruit harvest, but the trees themselves can also disappear due to the death of the leaves.
Cherry weevil elephant control measures
- Digging the soil in the garden in early spring or autumn destroys a significant part of the wintering pest.
- As a mechanical method of fighting, shaking off beetles gives good results. It is carried out in the spring, early in the morning, while the beetles are inactive, since most of them fly away with an increase in temperature. To collect beetles under the trees, spread out litters made of synthetic film, tarpaulin or other not to damage the bark of the trees, the ends of the poles are covered with burlap. The collected beetles are placed in a bucket with a solution of sodium chloride or saltpeter, or a little kerosene is added to the water. Shaking off begins from the beginning of bud break and is carried out 4-5 times with an interval of 5-6 days.
- Spraying trees after flowering with chlorophos (15-20 g of 80% emulsion concentrate per 10 l of water), karbofos (75 g of 10% emulsion concentrate or wettable powder per 10 l of water), trichlorometaphos-3 (50-100 g 10% concentrate of the emulsion per 10 liters of water). If necessary (a large number of weevils), the treatment is repeated after 7-10 days.
- Instead of insecticides, decoctions and infusions of tobacco, aconite, larkspur or yarrow can be used. Spraying is carried out during the budding period, before flowering and after flowering. It is also important here to collect the damaged carrion and remove it from the garden.
- In late autumn, collect and burn fallen leaves and branches.
- Dig the ground under the crown to a depth of 15 centimeters.
- In early spring, remove dead bark from the trunks and process with lime.
- With buds awakening on the trees, shake the branches of the trees over the film daily with poles: a cherry elephant falls to the ground at the slightest danger.
- Before harvesting, line the bottom of the dishes with paper or a thick cloth, onto which all the larvae will crawl out within 24 hours.
How to effectively deal with strawberry weevils?
A weevil on a strawberry, how to deal with a pest - absolutely all gardeners who want to enjoy a large and juicy berry ask themselves such a question. There are many ways to get rid of such a bug and make you forget about this problem.
Before processing from such a pest, it is necessary to learn that the fight against weevils on strawberries begins in early spring, immediately after the onset of a slight warming. Even if the snow has not yet completely melted, it is already allowed to start fighting with such insects. During this period, the temperature is completely uncomfortable for the beetles, and they are still dormant. At this stage, it is very important to thoroughly spray the strawberry patch to prevent the pests from waking up.
The second spraying will be beneficial if done 6-7 days before the bud starts to bloom. Re-processing is best done in mid-summer. This will get rid of the new generation of pest beetles. In addition, such a procedure will prevent insects from overwintering, which will ensure a significant decrease in their population next year.
Finding weevils is very simple - just look closely at the strawberry leaves. The damaged areas on the plants will have large holes and the buds will begin to fall off. You can observe the broken and hanging flowers, as if on a string. Usually, insects attack buds with long pedicels that rise above the bushes.
It should also be noted that these pests must be dealt with immediately after their detection. In no case should this process be postponed until later, because beetles tend to multiply quickly. Timely measures will effectively combat insects and eliminate the need for additional treatments with a variety of chemicals.
How to deal with a weevil on a strawberry? The best way to get rid of such pests is considered to be the providence of irrigation of the land using a mixture of water and iodine. Such a remedy is prepared from 1 tsp. substances and buckets of water. The drug Inta-vir has a similar effect; it can be bought without any problems in garden stores. To drive away the annoying beetle, you need to take 3 Inta-vira tablets and dilute them in 10 liters of cold water. With such a solution, you will need to process the garden bed together with the plants, and when the harvest is collected, disinfect the soil as well.
In addition, there are quite a few popular biological control drugs - Antonem - F and Namabact. Their use is permitted both in early spring and in autumn. Such substances have not only a destructive effect, but also a preventive one. In late spring, experts recommend using other products, for example, Akarin, Iskra-Bio and Fitoverm. A number of other drugs are also included in the chemical methods of combating weevils:
The best means are those that contain live microorganisms, thanks to them, after application, the percentage of insects will be significantly reduced. Fumigation with various preparations has a good result. Thanks to this procedure, strawberries will be able to please the owner with juiciness and sweet taste. In addition, many gardeners recommend spraying plants from these parasites with the help of such means: Ambush, Actellik, Gardona and Vofatox.
There is no need to be afraid to use chemical agents to exterminate the weevil. Adhering to the necessary recommendations, instructions and timing of spraying, you can not fear for the safety of the berries. Especially if the battle with insects is carried out in the spring.
How to treat strawberries from weevils so that the substance is not chemical-based? There are many alternative methods that will help get rid of such pests. A drug based on 100 g of garlic, 400 ml of coniferous extract and 2 tbsp. Is considered a very effective way. l. boric acid. This solution is infused for 7 days, and then the beds are sprayed with it.
Potassium permanganate will be able to provide quite effective assistance in the extermination of the weevil. You will need to dilute 5 g of potassium permanganate in 10 liters of water. To enhance the effectiveness of the substance, tincture of capsicum can be added to the solution. She perfectly scares away beetles. In early spring, as soon as young leaves appear on the strawberry, it is recommended to treat it with a solution of ammonia. 10 liters of water will require 2 tbsp. l. such a substance. In addition, to get rid of parasites, you can water the garden with tincture of tansy, but you will need to buy it at the pharmacy, because a fresh plant appears later than strawberries. Fern leaves spread out under the bushes of berries will be able to scare off the weevils. For the same purpose, garlic and onions can be planted around the strawberry plantation. This decision is explained by the fact that pests cannot stand this smell.
The weevil on strawberry bushes will disappear if you prepare another spray. You will need to take 100 g of mustard powder and dilute it in 3 liters of water. Experienced gardeners recommend processing 2 times a day. Another effective drug is based on laundry soap. You need to take 3 kg of ash and 40 g of soap, grated on a coarse grater. The components are mixed and the resulting mass is laid out under each bush. In addition, it is allowed to use ash in its pure form. It is scattered in a thick layer around the plantation. A good help in the fight against such insects is an infusion of wormwood and capsicum. It is necessary to take 70 g of wormwood, 2-3 pods of hot pepper, pour all 1 liter of water, insist for 2-3 hours and spray the bushes.
Sometimes lavender is planted around the strawberry plantation, which will not only decorate the garden, but also can scare away weevils, because their delicate aroma is unpleasant to them.
It should be noted that folk methods are effective until the rains fall, which will wash away all the labors of extermination of weevils. These methods of getting rid of insects take time and effort, but most of the components necessary for processing are found in every farm. In addition, they are absolutely safe for humans and their health.