Gorse, a shrub of gold and thorns ...
Gorse, a bush found in the moors and throughout western France, is a brilliantly flowering shrub that heralds spring. In gardens, it is mainly used as a hedge shrub, because of its "fiery" thorns. Gorse is moderately hardy between -10 and -15 ° C.
• Ulex Europaus
• Cycle: Perennial
• Foliage: Persistent
• Hardiness: hardy plant (-10 to -15 ° C)
• Family: Fabaceae, fabaceae
• Harbor : Bushy
• Exhibition: Sun
• Ground : Dry, acidic and sandy or stony soil.
• Sowing: April
• Plantation: September October
• Flowering: March to July
• Fructification: –
• Rooting: Roots
• Cultivation area: Everywhere (see hardiness maps: France or Quebec)
• Geographic origin : Western Europe.
• Honey plant: Yes
• Edible plant: No
• Poisonous Plant: No.
• Easy to grow.
What advantages in the garden:
• Very rapid growth.
• Early flowering
• Ability to grow in poor, stony or sandy soils.
• Very pleasant fragrance of flowers.
What exposure for Ulex Europaus?
• Gorse loves the sun.
• Ordinary, well-drained, rather light soil.
Method of multiplication?
When to sow?
• In spring, in the month from April.
How to do gorse seedlings?
• Soak the seeds for 48 hours only for spring sowing
• Loosen the soil so that the soil is fine, the soil poor, sandy.
• Add sand if necessary.
• Sow in row, 2 cm deep.
• Recap with a mixture of sand and potting soil.
• Water in fine rain.
• Keep the soil cool until emergence.
When to plant gorse?
Preferably in the fall.
How to plant gorse?
• Amend the soil with sand and heather soil.
• Proceed with great care because the root ball must not be damaged.
• Damaged, it would prevent the shrub from taking over your land ...
Culture in pots?
Gorse thorns will deter more than one patio owner from growing them in pots….
• Watering in case of severe drought.
Flowering of Ulex europeus:
• During the months of March to July.
• There are many varieties, over twenty.
• Among them are varieties with single flowers and double flowers.
• there is also a variety without thorns as well as dwarf varieties.
The type variety is the most widely cultivated.
What to plant with gorse?
• Genets ...
• ATa garden: In hedge, in rockery for dwarf species.
• Without garden : without interest.
Gorse is an early flowering shrub, very floriferous and easy to grow, it is generally used as a hedge shrub because of its formidable thorns ... Find out how to grow it with Our website.
Which vegetables to plant in April?
Throughout the year, it is possible to to plant vegetables. However, April turns out to be one of the best months to plant them in the garden or vegetable patch. Here is my selection of vegetables that you can sow this month.
The temperate and humid climate is very favorable to the development of celeriac. This vegetable needs sufficient exposure to the sun. To sow this species, it is recommended to wait until mid-April. It is a species that particularly likes soils that are moist and cool.
For this vegetable you can wait towards the end of the month to sow it. This will allow you to have carrots in the summer. Before planting carrots, it is advisable to get rid of the stones in the soil. Be sure to dig the soil afterwards to avoid deformation of your carrots. Another tip is to wait at least four years to recultivate carrots in one place.
One of the characteristics of April is that the soils become quite rich and cool. This is a fairly favorable situation for the development of the chard root, which is very pivotal. This plant appreciates direct sunlight, especially when the foot is cool. Otherwise, it is recommended to shelter them well during the hours of strong heat waves.
Likewise, beets appreciate sunlight. However, avoid planting it in stony soil. Besides, there are plenty of other vegetables you can plant in April. These include burdock, eggplant, asparagus, orach, etc.